Popular Posts

Friday, April 26, 2013

Most Private & Important Thing I've Ever Written




While I certainly want you to believe in a message of change, that all things are possible; I don't want you to ever accept that this requires you to be a perpetual scapegoat.

A large part of my own story has been a deep and personal acceptance of my portion, my contribution to the problem if you will. As many were un-willing, or unable to accept my amends, it ultimately became paramount for me to connect with this desire, this willingness to accept my wrongs and develop an inclination to own them; especially if I were to ever find personal freedom from these acts. This noted I've learned that we must remain vigilant against the imposition of others who are reluctant, or incapable of allowing us the freedom from our past. There are those who will claim much, yet remain blind to the new person we've become.

I myself stopped being a 17yr. old, when I turned 18yrs. I stopped being a 43yr. old husband & father the day I turned 44yrs. Unfortunately many can’t (or choose not to) ever see these stages, and the growth that accompanies each.

To be sure, I've committed my share of crimes; my "sins" are many. I stole, used and sold medications from my father. I stole money from my sisters and stole money from my mother's Al-anon group's treasury purse, on a regular basis. I was always poking through drawers & closets when I was home alone. Violence and breaking the law became very much commonplace. I stole from friends and their parents; the whole time being welcomed back for dinner and a visit, usually the very next day.

I was a skilled liar & a gifted manipulator. I still catch myself, even today, having to correct conversations mid-course, as the desire to exaggerate & manipulate is ever present it seems. I entered my 1'st stint in Brentwood Recovery in my 20's having had some 13 different partners, 2 children out of wedlock and a heavily abused body. It sickens me to admit this to you and yet what's worse is that it barely conveys the entirety of it all. “Tip of the ice berg” says little …

All this and much more are mine to own. It is my belief that I am perpetually capable of error, and as such I will need to continually be on the lookout for those lessons, I’ve yet to learn. These have the potential to be minor epiphanies and believe me when I tell you that I guard these opportunities passionately. I embrace my ignorance and as a result I seek opportunities to learn & improve constantly.

So What!?
What am I driving at?

As I grew up I was in constant reminder that I needed to toughen up, I needed to stop being so weepy & soft, I needed to "get over it", I needed to "let it go already”. After my father died, the dialogue changed little, but was more guided toward a young man, as one might expect. Only now it came from those grown up & married members of my family. Siblings to be sure, but cousins, aunts, uncles, each made time to add to the conversation...

It was hard to hear this constant reminder, especially as my deepest longing was for a place to call home & stability; but the words had to be enough as they were often all I had: “time to grow up", "no one wants to hear it Stacey, get over it, and let it go". I wished to be heard, just for an ear. Enter Sara, someone would listen, & she did. Eventually though, I needed to find others who could provide guidance as I sought to take responsibility for my portion. I needed to learn the correct direction for these conversations with those better prepared to accommodate me. Driven for change, I did and these friends were the architects and laborers of a new me.

Get to the point, right!?
What's it all about Stacey?

Well it may be the long way 'round but I really hope you follow, because it’s an important lesson & a major key to our personal freedom. What I hope to share is that, I've experienced all of this and more. My goal would be to share these experiences, the lessons learned and maybe you could then avoid these things altogether. You see, I still hear these “loving reminders” today; at 44yrs. old. “Be a grown up”, "Get over it Stacey let it go", "Time to act your age". The part where Sara & I shake our heads? They don’t even pause to consider that I have. I am over it, I did grow up and let go of it all. Truthfully, I've let go of far too much, far too easily at times and lost very little sleep in the process. Oh, I certainly made notes in the margin. Trust me, there is no way I ever want to see that guy in the mirror again, yet what we learn is that while some claim to be capable of forgiveness, many are all too comfortable leaving us convicted and pigeon holed. Ruts are comfortable places.

No matter what I've accomplished, no matter the distance between me & those mistakes I've made; all the positive deeds imaginable can never erase: "Grow up & get over it Stacey", for some. To them, I have nothing to offer, I'm white noise, droning on and on. When the slide show stops at Stacey and the one person watching's knee jerk reaction is “Time to Grow Up, No One Wants to Hear it Stacey” how can that white noise ever be worthy of real attention and respect? This person has refused the meal before tasting the dish. Their mind is made up before they sit down at the table. Judged, w/out a jury & sentenced to life. One may begin to think I'm bitter and of course, I’ve been there. I'd be lying to say there wasn't a time when I was. I was deeply hurt for years, but in truth, today I'm just sad because I know me. I know what they're missing, I know the articulate speaker within, the deeply thoughtful husband, father, brother and friend. The loving, gentle and genuine man I've become. They miss out on me, an available ear, and a gentle heart, capable of so very much love.

This is my hope for you, today and everyday & you deserve it. It is freedom from judgement, freedom from resentment and anger. This is freedom to love yourself & by extension, to love those closest to you more deeply & more perfectly. When you've put a lifetime between yourself & your sin, when you've spent a lifetime shedding labels, it is no longer your crime if those that claim to love you the most continue to see you w/ a slanted eye. When the words they speak fail to match the label they impose through clouded glasses, you mustn't stumble. This isn't your garbage to carry; it belongs on someone else’s boulevard. Stand firm, refuse to bend.

Today, I no longer need to grow up, as I am glaringly aware that I was required to grow up much sooner then I should have. I've done enough. I deserve as much respect, kindness and consideration as I give, and most days I give far more then I should! I deserve people in my life that will fight for me & demand these things on my behalf. There comes a moment when we should no longer be expected to offer the right of way. When those aware of whom & what we are, will step in front and do the pushing back for us. We all deserve people like this in our lives, we all deserve moments like this. My accomplishments should account for something; to more people than just me alone. When we change and grow we require support from loved ones. Support can often mean that, on our behalf, they would naturally, willingly acknowledge those accomplishments to others that fail to see them.

I learned this from a man that had only 10yrs. sobriety.

He spoke it to others around those closed tables, who then sought me out, in order to share it with me …

"You'll always be that same whiny baby boy, to someone", he would say, “and it’s ultimately their loss. Stick w/ those persons that would make it their business to remind others; that you’re a new man; after all these are the people that deserve the new you".

I never got to hear him speak those words myself, but some of his closest friends went out of their way to remind me of this gem a number of times and 16yrs. on it's a very personal piece of the puzzle for me. This is the very first time I've ever shared this; outside of a small group that have been my biggest supporters, but today it just feels right. This idea has defined much of my own personal journey and allowed me to find those that will encourage me the most. We deserve to be a priority to someone, find those that will make room for you, to be theirs.

You Are Amazing & Deserve Perfect Love

Love; S.


No comments:

- A Little More About, "Who Am I? ...

- All my other stuff ...